Participants in the WEM
Anyone subject to the Market Rules is a Rule Participant. Since different rules relate to different types of participants, a number of Rule Participant classes are defined. A Rule Participant can belong to more than one class, except where this is explicitly restricted.
The rules place the obligation to register as a Rule Participant on owners, operators and controllers of facilities. If more than one person is involved, and if those people reach an agreement as to which of them will become a Rule Participant for the purposes of the Market Rules, the IMO can exempt the others from being Rule Participants.
A Rule Participant that participates in any aspect of the Reserve Capacity Mechanism, bilateral trade, the STEM or the Dispatch/Balancing process, is referred to as a Market Participant. A party that is both a Market Generator and a Market Customer is a single Market Participant.
With the exception of the IMO and System Management, it is necessary for parties wanting to become a Rule Participants to apply to the IMO. In applying for Rule Participant status, a party must accept the obligation to comply with the relevant Market Rules.
Rule Participant requirements
It is also required that a Rule Participant must:
- be resident in, or have a permanent establishment, in Australia;
- not be an externally administered body corporate, or under a similar form of administration under any laws applicable to it in any jurisdiction;
- not be immune from suit in respect of the obligations of the Rule Participant under these Market Rules; and
- be capable of being sued in its own name in a court in Australia.
Necessary details required for all Rule Participants
Under the Maket Rules, the IMO must make the following details of all Rule Participants available from the Market website:
- mailing address, telephone and facsimile number
- name of title of a contact person
- details of the applicable licenses held
- applicable Rule Participant classes
- applicable Market Participant classes and
- names and capacities of Registered Facilities
Participant names, addresses, telephone and fax numbers are available from the Rule Participant Details page on this site.
General information regarding participant classes can be found on the Participant Classes Information page on this site. Actual participant classes are listed here.
A list of registered facilities and their capacities is available from the Rule Participant Facility Information page on this site.
A list of Balancing Facilities is available from the Balancing Facility Status page.
This document is published in accordance with Market Rule 10.5.1 (c).